Last Updated on
With the increase in the number of runners across the globe, shoe manufacturing companies are also increasing in number. Each brand makes sure to manufacture nothing but the best for runners. One such brand is Brooks, one of the leading shoe manufacturers that has been catering to the needs of runners since 1914.
Until today, Brooks has managed to keep its spot safe by launching best-selling running shoe models every now and then. Every shoe manufactured by Brooks is a delight for runners and comes with a special set of features to make your running experience different every time you run on different kinds of terrains. With exceptional quality and the use of modern features, the company always comes up with a great quality shoe.
3D Fit Print upper technology molds to your foot and has an Abrasion-resistant HPR Plus rubber.
Strong rubber material. Resistant to hard surfaces.
HRP Plus rubber for all-terrain traction.
Brooks Ghost Line
BioMoGo DNA provides flexibility and is environmental-friendliness, which is a plus in this design.
The blown rubber in the outsole ensures durability.
HPR Plus rubber adds traction, such as Brook Launch.
|Brooks Launch||Brooks Ghost|
|Price||$79.95 (Check out the latest rates here!)||$89.99 – $179.95 (Check out the latest rates here!)|
|Heel to Toe Drop||10 mm||12 mm|
|Heel Height||28 mm||30 mm|
|Forefoot Height||18 mm||18 mm|
|Upper Design||Air Mesh||Engineered Mesh|
|Midsole Technology||BioMoGo DNA||BioMoGo and the contour-mimicking DNA foam|
|Outsole Technology||HPR Plus and Blown Rubber||HPR Plus and Blown Rubber|
|Sizing||8 to 15||7 to 14|
|Width Option||Normal||Narrow, Normal, Wide|
|Weight||9.20 oz. (261 gr.)||10.40 oz. (295 gr.)|
- 1 Brooks Launch
- 2 Brooks Ghost 10
- 3 Our Recommendation
Brooks Launch is one of the finest creations by Brooks. With very stylish design and phenomenal features, this running shoe is a favorite among runners.
Comfort and Midsole
- Brooks and comfort go hand in hand. The brand always ensures to offer optimum comfort to runners while running and hence, they bring in use BioMoGo DNA as the primary foam unit. The foam is made from recycled materials and offers a very responsive cushioning.
- The most noteworthy attribute of this super-soft foam is that it takes the shape of your underfoot and support the arch and natural curvature of the foot. The foam is a great shock-absorbent.
- The responsiveness and cushioning are further enhanced by the placement of full-length S-257 Cushsole over the foam unit.
- The Midfoot Transition Zone is narrower in the middle to let your foot freely move through the natural gait cycle.
- The midsole of Brooks Launch features a Segmented Crash Pad configuration to absorb the shock in specific areas. This particular design amplifies the flexibility of these shoes. Moreover, the cushioning is enhanced due to the same feature.
- The interior of the shoes is covered with a soft and breathable fabric that ensures breathability, offers comfort, and prevent the skin from any kind of irritation.
Outsole and Durability
The outsole of the Brooks Launch is very durable.
- It brings in use two rubber compounds. The HRP Plus rubber compound prevents the shoes from abrasion by protecting the foam platform. The rubber outsole also offers better traction on any surface.
- The frontfoot section sees the presence of blown rubber to aid traction and offer protection. In addition to these features, the use of blown rubber also offers a springy toe-off.
- The entire length and width of the outsole is covered with flex grooves. These grooves add to the flexibility of the shoes and also help the foot to easily move through the natural gait cycle.
Design, Color, Size
Talking about the design, the Brooks Launch is one of the most stylish running shoes that features a chic design.
- The upper surface of the shoes is covered by Air Mesh which is a fabric-like material. It wraps around the feet just like the sock.
- The fabric is covered with printed thin overlays outlining the façade with highlights and lines. These overlays not just offer a secure coverage, but also enhance the overall look of the shoes.
- Security and stability are provided by padded collar and tongue that also offer cushioning to the upper areas of the foot. They keep the foot in place and prevent accidental shoe-removal, as well as wobbling.
- Brooks Launch 5 is absolutely true to size. It is an advantage for the people with regular shoe size. The available size options are from 8 to 15.
- The shoes are available in many color options.
Brooks Launch is not the lightest shoe in the market but also, it is not the heaviest. The use of overlays has somewhat increased the weight of the shoes by 20 percent. However, it does not create a major difference.
The upper unit of the shoes is very breathable. The fabric features open pores that let the air get in the foot-chamber and keep the environment cool and healthy.
Pros and Cons
|Stylish design||Width is a bit narrow|
|Lightweight nature||Arch of the shoe is too high|
|Excellent cushioning system||Heel lining sags early|
|Soft midsole makes the running experience pleasurable|
|Comfortable on road|
|Spacious toe box|
|No fatigue even on wearing the shoe all day long|
|Uncluttered upper design|
Brooks Ghost 10
All neutral runners are in for a treat with Brooks Ghost 11. The shoes are super comfortable and come with many attributes that make them a must-buy. From comfort and flexibility to stability and grip; every feature of these shoes is worth applauding.
Comfort and Midsole
Like many other Brooks shoes, the Brooks Ghost also features comfortable foam.
- The use of BioMoGo DNA set a seal on attributes like better adaptability, comfort, flexibility, and environmental-friendliness.
- The midsole foam adapts to the curvature and contour of the shoes providing a very responsive ride and a great energy return.
- The comfort is further added with the use of another technology that is always present in Brooks’ shoes. The S-257 Cushsole lends an extra cushioning, thereby, increasing the comfort by manifold.
- Another highlight feature of Brooks Ghost 10 is the use of Omega Flex Grooves. These grooves are in the shape of ridges that run along the sides of the running shoes. They let the shoe move together along with the runner with cushioned feel and also enhance the flexibility of the shoe.
- The Profile Sock liner guarantees extra comfort. This piece of padding betters the in-shoe feel.
Outsole and Durability
The outsole technology of Brooks Ghost brings two rubber compounds in use namely, the HPR Plus and blown rubber.
- The forefoot area of the outsole is covered by the blown rubber. This rubber compound ensures better flexibility and durability.
- The heel area of the outsole is covered with the HPR Plus rubber. The rubber offers durability and added traction.
- Another feature of the outsole of Brooks Ghost 10 is the Cush Pod Configuration which connects it to the midsole.
- This adds to the cushioning and also, offers a balanced spot from heel strike to toe-off. This betters the forward propulsion
Design, Color, Size
- The upper design is made from engineered mesh that lends lightweight support to the foot.
- The elasticity of the mesh helps it adapt to the shape of the foot.
- The shape of the shoe is maintained by the application of synthetic overlays. They are strategically placed on the toe tip, the midfoot, and the heel area.
- The lightweight support of the overlays helps in offering a better fit.
- The best feature of these shoes is the saddle construction which guarantees a better fit, especially in the midfoot area. You can further tighten the laces to get a snug fit.
- Coming to size, the shoes are available in different sizes ranging from 7 to 14. Width choices are also many including normal, narrow, as well as wide.
- The shoes are available in many color options including Ebony/Metallic Charcoal/Electric Brooks Blue, Primer Grey/Metallic Charcoal/Ebony, White/Silver/Black, Toreador/Black/Metallic Charcoal, White/Navy/Gold, etc.
Brooks Ghost is a lightweight shoe for the neutral runners. It weighs only 10.40 oz. (295 gr.).
The upper material of the shoe allows better breathability. It lets the air get in and keep the area cool.
Pros and Cons
|High-performance construction||Sole unit comes loose after a few uses|
|Lightweight||Less arch support|
|Excellent shock absorbing capability of the midsole||Underfoot platform is too low to the ground|
|Less bulky design||Lesser grip on wet surfaces|
|Comfortable feel while running|
|Many color options available|
Looking at the specifications of both running shoes, it is quite difficult to tell the best one. Both the shoes are loaded with unmatched features.
Talking about individual features, both shoes offer excellent comfort accredited to the use of technologies like BioMoGo DNA and S-257 Cushsole.
In terms of upper design and breathability, both, Brooks Launch and Ghost score equal marks.
The outsole of Brooks Ghost 11 features Cush Pod Configuration offering a better balance than Launch 6. This feature also takes care of forward propulsion. This is the area where Brooks Ghost 10 scores some bonus points. Furthermore, the saddle construction of Brooks Ghost 10 gives it an edge over Brooks Launch 5.
The Bottom Line
Both the shoes are excellent. However, Brooks Ghost is the best shoe for you if you are a neutral runner. It provides great arch support and comfort and is still very light weight. If however you are more aesthetically inclined then Brooks Launch may be a better pick.